American illustrator Mary GrandPré designed the gorgeous cover artwork for all seven Harry Potter books, including alternate deluxe edition covers for the final three novels. Check out all of Mary’s glorious jacket sketches below.
1. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone (1998)
Curtains open: Mary GrandPré’s first Harry Potter jacket is covered with magical references.
2. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (1999)
Harry, Ron and Hermione escape the Chamber of Secrets with Fawkes the Phoenix.
3. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (1999)
Harry and Hermione rescue Buckbeak the Hippogriff while Harry’s Patronus is visible on the shore of the lake.
4. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (2000)
There are lots of great Triwizard references on the Goblet of Fire cover artwork.
5. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (2003)
Harry stands ready in the Department of Mysteries on the iconic Order of the Phoenix cover.
6. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (deluxe edition) (2003)
The deluxe version of Order of the Phoenix depicts Harry’s arrival at 12 Grimmauld Place.
7. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (2005)
Harry and Dumbledore journey to the cave while the Dark Mark shines above Hogwarts.
8. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (deluxe edition) (2005)
Harry and Dumbledore observe the Gaunt family on the Half-Blood Prince deluxe edition cover.
9. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (2007)
Curtains close: Mary GrandPré’s artistic journey comes full circle with the Deathly Hallows artwork.
10. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (deluxe edition) (2007)
The trio escape Gringotts on a dragon on the Deathly Hallows deluxe edition.